Papa Ed’s Latke Recipe
Looking for a good latke recipe to celebrate the holidays? Here's one of our all time favorites, Papa Ed's Latke Recipe.
PAPA ED’S LATKE RECIPE
Serves 8 – 10
- 10 medium potatoe
- 5 Yukon gold
- 5 Russet
- 2 medium onions
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄8c unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8c matzah meal
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- Canola or vegetable oil
1. Peel the potatoes. If the skin is not coarse, just clean them well and don’t peel. Keep in cold water until ready to prepare latkes.
2. Starting with the onions, alternately grate onions on large holes of grater and potatoes on small holes. This will keep the potato from blackening. (Note: Use a food processor with steel blade or grating blade for an easier way of grating potatoes and onions.)
3. Press out as much liquid as possible. Reserve the starchy sediment at the bottom of the bowl and add to the mixture.
4. Stir potato mixture with eggs, flour, matzah meal, salt, and white pepper until blended.
5. Heat 1 inch of oil in a frying pan. Make sure the oil is really hot before frying. Drop about 1 tablespoon of mixture for each latke into the skillet. Press lightly with spatula to flatten. Fry latkes, turning once. (A small ice cream scooper can be used to measure the mixture for consistency.)
6. When golden and crisp on each side, place on paper towel and drain.
7. Serve with sour cream, apple sauce, jam or yogurt.