Social Worker Inpatient - Acute Geriatric Psychiatry UnitPsychiatric Unit/Mental Health
The Auerbach Geriatric Psychiatry Unit at the Jewish Home is a remarkable facility for short-term geriatric psychiatric care.
Our state-of-the-art inpatient facility is the preferred choice in Los Angeles County for short-term treatment, incorporating the Jewish Home's nationally-acclaimed model of compassionate, high-quality care.
With specialized geriatric staff and an interdisciplinary team treatment approach, our focus is on reducing symptoms and treating the underlying condition in a calm, nurturing environment. The Unit's beautiful facilities include exclusively private rooms, each with private bathroom.
We value our employees! We offer long term employment opportunities with job stability, including supporting and encouraging career growth advancement. We offer Health, Dental and Vision insurance, Paid Time Off, 9 Paid Holidays, 403(b) with Matching Retirement Plan, Life insurance (paid by the company) and a team spirit workplace culture!
The Social Worker’s responsibilities are but not limited to:
- Assessment / Reassessment: Assists in the completion of an initial psycho-social chemical dependency assessment (when appropriate) within 72 hours of admission of patients with input from the patient and patient’s authorized representative. Documents Individual/Group interventions daily in the attendance record. Completes progress notes including psycho-social evaluation weekly or more often as needed.
- Documentation: Writes progress note on admission, weekly, upon discharge and as needed with new concerns, significant change of behaviors, response to interventions and when new interventions are needed as well as discharge plans. Completes daily documentation of individual and group interventions as directed.
- Discharge Planning / Utilization Review: Initiates discharge planning on admission and coordinates the discharge process with the patient / patient’s authorized representatives and other resources. Assists the patient select an appropriate discharge placement (i.e. home health care, Residential Care Facility for the Elderly, skilled nursing facility etc.)
- Treatment planning: Assures that treatment plans include appropriate social service interventions within 72 hours and are updated with each change of condition, change in behaviors and at least weekly. Assures that the patient / patient’s authorized representatives are involved in development of the treatment plan and sign the treatment plan to acknowledge agreement with the treatment plan.
- Provides discharge planning and documents medical necessity.
- Assists patient and patient’s authorized representative select an appropriate after care placement when needed.
- Assist with therapeutic activities whenever regular therapeutic staff are not available.
- Manages unit case load in an efficient manner and coordinates responsibilities with L.C.S.W.
- Participates in development, review, revision and implementation of policies and procedures for the Acute Psychiatric Unit as needed.
- Conducts regular unit rounds with LCSW and other IDT members as appropriate to identify care and environmental issues and implement corrections as appropriate.
- Quality Assurance and Performance Improvement: Actively participates in the Acute Psychiatric Unit QA & PI program. Reviews indicators for social service on a pre-assigned basis, makes any necessary corrections and makes recommendations for improvement to the QA and PI Committee at least quarterly.
- Assists with transfer to other acute psychiatric facilities providing involuntary care when needed.
- Assures security of environment to prevent exit of patients attempting to elope. Implements the facility procedure for elopement if any patient leaves the facility without permission.
- Other duties as required.
Experience and Skills:
- Must be able to read, write, speak, and understand the English language.
- Masters Degree in Social Work with acute inpatient geriatric psychiatry experience preferred.
- Must possess or obtain BCLS and Assault Response Training within 90 days of hire.
- Strong preference for previous inpatient psychiatric hospital experience.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.
- Management of Assaultive Behavior (MAB) competency within 6 months of hire.
- Flexible hours but may include some weekends and/or evenings.