C.N.A./Mental Health Worker (7pm – 7am)Inpatient Psychiatric Hospital $22.50 - DOE
We value our employees! We offer long term employment opportunities with job stability, including supporting and encouraging career growth advancement. We offer Health, Dental and Vision insurance, Paid Time Off, 9 Paid Holidays, 403(b) with Matching Retirement Plan, Life insurance (paid by the company) and a team spirit workplace culture!
Candidates should be aware that Los Angeles Jewish Health (LAJH) currently maintains a policy requiring employees to be fully vaccinated. New LAJH employees should be fully vaccinated (i.e., two weeks after last dose) by their start date. LAJH is an equal opportunity employer, and will provide reasonable accommodation to those unable to be vaccinated where it is not an undue hardship to the company to do so as provided under federal, state, and local law.
The CNA/Mental Health Worker’s responsibilities are but not limited to:
- Participate in and receive the nursing report upon reporting for duty. Make rounds with the on-coming personnel. Answer patient request and call lights promptly.
- Assist patients with all applicable ADLs: lifting, turning, moving, positioning, and transporting patients into and out of beds, chairs, bathtubs, wheelchairs, lifts, etc. bowel and bladder functions (i.e., take to bathroom, offer bedpan/urinal, portable commode, etc.), showers, and baths as assigned, daily indwelling catheter care, (i.e., empty bag, gravity flow observation).
- Provide daily grooming and perineal care. Assist with the application of slings, elastic bandages, binders, etc. as instructed by charge nurse. Give tepid sponge baths, Assist with feeding as indicated (i.e., cutting foods, feeding, assist in dining room supervision, tray passing, cleaning patient after meals, etc.).
- Assist patients in preparing for medical tests (i.e., lab work, x ray, therapy, dental, etc.), activities and social programs (i.e., religious services, parties, visitors, etc.) Assist in transporting patients to/from appointments, activity and social programs, etc., as necessary.
- Ensures that utility room, kitchen, pantries, supply rooms and nurse’s lounge are maintained in a neat and orderly fashion. Remove dirty diaper barrels and put linen carts away before tray pass. Check and arrange closets in a weekly basis.
- Transport involuntary patients to mental health court for hearings and proceedings. Apply and manage restraints as ordered and needed for combative, assaultive or patient’s who attempt to elope. Maintain communications with the unit and charge nurse to ensure safe delivery and return.
- Observe and report the following: presence of pressure areas and skin breakdowns to prevent decubitus ulcers (bedsores), all injuries including those of an unknown source, including skin tears. Inform the Nurse Supervisor/Charge Nurse of any changes in the patient’s condition.
- Document pertinent patient information and inform nurse of any change in condition specific to behavior monitors, close watch, daily vital signs and weights.
- Assures no sharp items, eating utensils, food, gait belts or any other items that may be used by patients to cause harm if left unattended in environment.
- Follows treatment plan and behavior instructions for redirection of patient’s behaviors.
- Constantly observes patient behaviors and promptly intervene when any inappropriate behavior occurs; report any new behaviors to licensed nurse; documents behaviors on close observation sheet.
- Other duties as required.
- Able to work a 7pm – 7am shift.
Experience and Skills
• Must be able to read, write, speak, and understand the English language.
• Must have, as a minimum, six (6) months experience as a certified nursing assistant (CNA), preferably in an acute care medical-surgical or psychiatric facility. Experience must be recent, within the last 12-months.
• Strong preference for previous inpatient psychiatric hospital experience.
• Management of Assaultive Behavior (MAB) competency within 90 days of hire.
• Must have current CNA certification by the State of California.
• At least 1-year experience working in mental health/psychiatric unit is preferred.
• Verification of CPR (BLS) training.
• Background clearance, TB screening and successful completion of a health examination by a LAJHealth Nurse Practitioner or M.D.
• Experience with geriatric population preferred, knowledge of CMS Conditions of Participation.