Primary Care Physician – B.C.S.C. - West LABrandman Centers for Senior Care/PACE
The Brandman Centers for Senior Care (BCSC), a Program of All-inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE), provides high-quality, comprehensive healthcare services. We are a program of the Los Angeles Jewish Home, renowned for providing quality care to vulnerable seniors
We put the well-being of seniors first, promoting independence in the comfort of their own homes, even when their health challenges makes them eligible for nursing home care. Services for each individual are based on recommendations and coordination of the Interdisciplinary Team. BCSC offers primary medical care on-site, preventive health services, rehabilitation, and transportation to and from the Center.
Following a thorough assessment, each participant in PACE receives customized care, as recommended by an Interdisciplinary Team very familiar with the individual. When a higher level of care is required, such as home healthcare or nursing home care, the Interdisciplinary Team will approve and arrange for this.
The Primary Care Physician’s responsibilities are but not limited to:
- Performs pre-enrollment/initial assessments and 6 month evaluations including comprehensive history and physical exams of assigned participants at intake and at least quarterly if needed, in cooperation with family member and/or caregiver and Interdisciplinary Team members.
- Develops and implements a therapeutic Plan of Care at least quarterly and when a participant’s condition changes. Monitors the Plan of Care on an ongoing basis. Presents and coordinates the Plan of Care with the Interdisciplinary Team and clinic.
- Helps ensure that participants experience a smooth transition into BCSC by coordinating with previous medical providers and/or specialists.
- Provides evaluation, treatment and ongoing monitoring of episodic illness.
- Refers participants to medical specialist as indicated with Interdisciplinary Team input.
- Provides daily oversight of hospitalized participants (in collaboration with a hospitalist as appropriate) including: providing primary care (attending) responsibilities for management; providing updates to the team on a regular basis; judiciously utilizing medical specialty consultants; and coordinating discharge planning with the Interdisciplinary Team and TOC team.
- Provides primary care to participants in a manner consistent with professional standards and regulations, including: providing regular visits; making telephone contacts with nursing home staff as required; and conducting hospital admissions as necessary.
- Collaborates with and supervises Nurse Practitioner activities including: reviewing quarterly participant assessments and co-signing Plans of Care; providing consultation, reviewing evaluations and co-signing intervention plans for episodic illness; and performing formal assessment and physical exams on every participant followed by the Nurse Practitioner at least annually.
- Participates as an active member of the Interdisciplinary Team by attending Intake and Assessment meetings; participating in daily meetings, family meetings and clinical case conferences as needed; consulting with Nurses and other staff as medical care issues arise; and attending staff and other meetings when appropriate and possible.
- Provides on-call medical coverage to participants after normal business hours.
- Participates actively in BCSC Quality Improvement (QI) activities.
- Works closely with BCSC Nurse(s) to provide clinical care.
- Understands fiscal issues and is appropriately involved in meeting budget targets.
- Complies with safety policies and procedures. Identifies and immediately reports unsafe acts or conditions to the Center Manager. Takes necessary measures to ensure a safe environment for oneself, co-workers, contractors, participants, visitors and others.
- Consistently meets or exceeds BCSC targets for productivity and goals.
- Continually seeks better ways for delivering services and communicating with participants.
- Continually meets or exceeds BCSC customer services targets.