Medical Assistant - PACEBrandman Centers for Senior Care (BCSC) $19.00 - $24.00
The Brandman Centers for Senior Care (BCSC), a Program of All-inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE), provides high-quality, comprehensive healthcare services. We are a program of Los Angeles Jewish Health, renowned for providing quality care to vulnerable seniors.
We value our employees! We offer long term employment opportunities with job stability, including supporting and encouraging career growth advancement. We offer Health, Dental and Vision insurance, Paid Time Off, 9 Paid Holidays, 403(b) with Matching Retirement Plan, Life insurance (paid by the company) and a team spirit workplace culture!
Candidates should be aware that Los Angeles Jewish Health (LAJH) currently maintains a policy requiring employees to be fully vaccinated. New LAJH employees should be fully vaccinated (i.e., two weeks after last dose) by their start date. LAJH is an equal opportunity employer, and will provide reasonable accommodation to those unable to be vaccinated where it is not an undue hardship to the company to do so as provided under federal, state, and local law.
The primary purpose of your job position is to coordinate all of the participants’ medical appointments with the appropriate doctors, hospitals, and/or outside clinics. Maintain and organize the records for the residents for inside or outside medical treatments. Assist the health care provider to provide quality care to BCSC residents within the BCSC clinic setting.
- Based on received orders for provider appointments makes calls to doctors’ offices, hospitals, etc. to schedule required procedures.
- Confirms with MD or IDT any procedures requested by specialist for approval.
- Coordinates with Center Coordinator and Transportation Manager to determine PCA travel aide and driver availability. Arranges alternate transportation as necessary.
- Completes all authorizations for appointments, transportation, hospitalizations and other needs, as assigned.
- Arranges all meal needs/requests with dietary services as needed.
- Notifies participant and or designated family and if appropriate, the facility where the participant resides of appointment and provides appointment card.
- Documents notification of appointment in EMR.
- Notifies clinic staff and participants of surgery instructions for upcoming surgeries.
- Notifies appropriate clinic staff of any lab work/EKGs/X-rays needed in advance of appointment.
- Copies participant records for provider visits and outside trips, including face sheet, appropriate specialist progress notes, H & P, consultations, recent labs, recent orders, EKG results and other test results, if appropriate, and med sheets. Includes authorization form.
- Ensures that the Request for Consultation form and provider progress notes are completed and received post-appointment. Checks for any follow-up appointments to be scheduled and provides RN with a copy of all returned forms.
- Plans outside trips in a logical manner so that like or nearby appointments are bundled together, i.e., when several participants need the same kind of specialty appointment, they are sent together, when possible.
- Plans inside appointments to accommodate participant’s center attendance and transportation schedule.
- Answers and responds to telephone inquiries and emails within a timely manner.
- Shifts, rearranges, or cancels appointments as required. Reschedules canceled appointments as soon as possible and notifies participants, designated family members and appropriate staff.
- When calling to make appointments, communicates with the doctor’s staff in a courteous, professional manner.
- Perform EKG, blood draws, injections, specimen collection, bladder ultrasounds, vital signs, height and weights as requested. Assist with/perform procedures as requested by provider or clinic staff.
- Schedule imaging studies as needed.
- Assist individual physicians with Participant preparations, i.e., accompanying Participants to exams rooms, removing/putting on shoes, socks.
- Prepare and organize Participants’ charts for physician clinics. Plan and manage physician agendas.
- Record and collect medical data as requested by physician, i.e., lab/x-ray results, vital signs and history.
- Greet Participants with warm and helpful demeanor.
- Maintain professional demeanor by reporting to work in appropriate attire, courteous phone technique. Clear and meaningful communication with physicians, Participants and co-workers.
- Request all reports and results of medical tests, visits, and/or progress notes, report results of collective specimens to physicians, etc., and preparation of charts.
- Arrange examining room, check instruments and equipment to make sure they are in a proper condition; keep the examining room neat, stocked, and clean.
- Order supplies as needed for all exam rooms and clinic needs.
- Facilitate and effective communication between physician and Participants.
- Help both, physician and Participant, by providing valuable information with regards to lab, hospital, reports, etc.
- Maintain competency according to departmental, organizational and professional standards.
- Understands fiscal issues and is appropriately involved in meeting budget targets.
- Complies with safety policies and procedures, identifying and immediately reporting any potential or actual unsafe acts or conditions to the RN Clinic Supervisor. Takes necessary measures to ensure a safe environment for oneself, co-workers, contractors, participants, visitors and others.
- Consistently meets or exceeds BCSC targets for productivity.
- Continually seeks better ways for delivering services and communicating with participants.
- Consistently meets or exceeds BCSC customer service targets.
- Demonstrates respect for and promotes participant rights including dignity, self-determination, access to care, confidentiality and independence.
- Effectively collaborates with staff peers and contractors to meet BCSC goals and further success.
- Complies with all policy and procedures of BCSC.
- Demonstrates proficiency in delivering age-specific care.
- Consistently meets or exceeds BCSC quality assessment and performance improvement targets.
Education and Experience
Degree and diplomas: Must possess a Medical Assistant degree from a certified school.
Certificates, Licenses: Verification of completion of CPR (BLS) and first aid training. Valid California driver’s license. TB screening and successful completion of a health examination by a health care provider is required for employment.
Experience: At least 1 year working with the frail or elderly.
Skills/Aptitudes: Bilingual Spanish preferred. Must be able to read, write, speak, and understand the English language. Must possess the ability to make independent decisions when circumstances warrant such action. Must possess the ability to deal tactfully with personnel, Participants, visitors and the general public. Must possess the ability to work harmoniously with other personnel. Must possess the ability to minimize waste of supplies, misuse of equipment, etc. Must be able to follow written and oral instructions. Must be knowledgeable in computers, data input and output. Must be able to relate information concerning Participants’ condition. Must not pose a direct threat to the health or safety of other individuals in the workplace.