Director of Activities - Auerbach Geriatric Psychiatry UnitInpatient Psychiatric Hospital $30.00 - $35.00
We value our employees! We offer long term employment opportunities with job stability, including supporting and encouraging career growth advancement. We offer Health, Dental and Vision insurance, Paid Time Off, 9 Paid Holidays, 403(b) with Matching Retirement Plan, Life insurance (paid by the company) and a team spirit workplace culture!
Candidates should be aware that Los Angeles Jewish Health (LAJH) currently maintains a policy requiring employees to be fully vaccinated. New LAJH employees should be fully vaccinated (i.e., two weeks after last dose) by their start date. LAJH is an equal opportunity employer, and will provide reasonable accommodation to those unable to be vaccinated where it is not an undue hardship to the company to do so as provided under federal, state, and local law.
The Auerbach Geriatric Psychiatry Unit at LAJHealth is a remarkable facility for short-term geriatric psychiatric care.
Our state-of-the-art inpatient facility is the preferred choice in Los Angeles County for short-term treatment, incorporating LAJHealth's nationally-acclaimed model of compassionate, high-quality care.
With specialized geriatric staff and an interdisciplinary team treatment approach, our focus is on reducing symptoms and treating the underlying condition in a calm, nurturing environment. The Unit's beautiful facilities include exclusively private rooms, each with private bathroom.
Under the supervision of the Program Director, provides recreational therapy and activities to Auerbach Geriatric Psychiatric Unit (AGPU) patients according to departmental, professional and regulatory standards of care.
DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Provides initial assessment and at least quarterly reassessment of assigned patients to evaluate functional and social ability, identify major interests and set realistic recreation therapy treatment goals.
2. Conducts reassessments to determine progress achieved and update goals, and develops and implements a therapeutic Plan of Care with ongoing recommendations at least quarterly and when a participant’s condition changes. Presents and coordinates the Plan of Care with the Interdisciplinary Team.
3. Implements an appropriate recreation therapy program for each patient and monitors treatment progress. Supervises all aspects of patient recreation therapy delivered by Certified Nursing Assistants in the AGPU, as assigned
4. Demonstrates proficiency in the set-up and application of all recreation therapy modalities including exercise.
5. Develops and schedules specific therapeutic programs that include recreational and social activities and programming for participants with dementia or sensory deficits.
6. Develops, implements and supervises the activity program. Produces a monthly activity calendar.
7. Plans and provides both group and individual activities. Greets patients upon arrival at the AGPU and sets the tone for each day.
8. Incorporates the use of volunteers and intergenerational activities into activities.
9. Incorporates contracted services for entertainment, art, movement and music therapy into activities.
10. Accesses community resources for outings whenever possible.
11. Monitors safety, is prepared in case of emergency and attends to good body mechanics.
12. Provides recreational education to patients and family members or caregiver according to recreation therapy standards.
13. Shares information on patient interests and social strengths with the Interdisciplinary Team and actively participates in Interdisciplinary Team meetings. Keeps the Team apprised of noticed changes in the participant’s condition.
14. Completes documentation in the medical record accurately and in a timely manner.
15. Maintains competency according to departmental, organizational and professional standards.
16. Understands fiscal issues and is appropriately involved in meeting budget targets.
17. Complies with safety policies and procedures, identifying and immediately reporting any potential or actual unsafe acts or conditions to the Center Manager. Takes necessary measures to ensure a safe environment for oneself, co-workers, contractors, patients, visitors and others.
18. Consistently meets or exceeds AGPU targets for productivity.
19. Continually seeks better ways for delivering services and communicating with patients.
20. Consistently meets or exceeds AGPU patient satisfaction targets.
21. Demonstrates respect for and promotes patient rights including dignity, self-determination, access to care, confidentiality and independence.
22. Effectively collaborates with staff peers and contractors to meet AGPU goals and further success.
23. Complies with all policy and procedures of AGPU.
24. Demonstrates proficiency in delivering age-specific care.
25. Consistently meets or exceeds AGPU quality assessment and performance improvement targets.
1. Degree and diplomas: Bachelor’s Degree in Recreation Therapy or related field (Occupational Therapy, Art Therapy, Music Therapy, Dance Therapy or Social Work).
2. Certificates, Licenses: Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS) [is preferred but not required]. Verification of completion of CPR (BLS) and first aid training. Valid California driver’s license with good driving record. TB screening and successful completion of a health examination by a hospital-designated nurse practitioner or physician is required for employment. MAB De-escalation Training and Certification is required within 3 months of hire.
3. Experience: At least two years experience in social or recreational programs providing and coordinating services for a elderly population or individuals with mental health conditions within the past five years. Prefer applicant with full-time experience in patient activities program in an acute psychiatric setting within the last 3 years.
4. Skills/Aptitudes: Recreation therapy knowledge and skills necessary to treat participants and manage complex problems. Ability to provide care for elderly. Ability to work independently and within an Interdisciplinary Team. Good organizational and supervisory skills. Ability to handle complex interpersonal situations.